Sunday, July 15, 2012

Exclamation 13 - Exclamations, or Meditations of the Soul on Its God - St. Teresa of Avila - Teresa of Jesus




                     Exclamations, 

                               Or 
      Meditations of The Soul on Its God    
                 Exclamation 13  
                 S. Teresa of Jesus 
     of the Order of our Lady of Carmel  
           
                     St. Teresa of Avila 


                 ░░░░░░░░░░░░

 "Written By 
   The Holy Mother Teresa Of Jesus 
   On Different Occasions, 
   According To The Devotion 
     Imparted To Her By Our Lord 
   After Holy ComMunion. 
   A.D. 1569." 


                   ░░░░░░░░░░░░
    From the Book, 
   "Minor Works Of St. Teresa 
    Conceptions Of The Love Of God 
    Exclamations, Maxims And Poems"





                     Exclamations, 

                             Or 
     Meditations of The Soul on Its God    
                   Exclamation 13  
  



                    Exclamation     XIII      
                                                                [1] 
1
O my Lord, very God of mine ! 
"He who knows Thee not, 
     loves Thee not."                                           [2]
How true this is, 
but woe, ah, woe !
    to those who seek not to know Thee !   [3]
The hour of death 
    is an hour of terror; 
But, alas, alas, my Creator, 
how terrific will be that day 
    on which Thy justice shall be executed ! 
Often do I think, my Saviour, 
how beautiful are Thine eyes 
    to those who love Thee, 
on whom Thou, my only Good, 
    dost deign to gaze with affection. 
I think 
but one such tender glance, 
    bent on those 
       Thou holdest as Thine own, 
is recompense for many a year's service. 
2
Good God, 
how hard it is to make this understood 
    by one 
who has not "tasted and seen                  [4] 
    how sweet the Lord is." 
O Christians, Christians, 
reflect on your brotherhood 
    with this great God ! 
Realize it; 
Think not lightly of it; 
For His gaze is as full 
    of terror 
        for His persecutors 
as 
   of love 
        for His friends. 


3. 
Oh ! 
We do not understand 
    that sin is a pitched battle 
        of all the senses and powers 
             of the soul 
    against God: 
The greater the sinner's power, 
the more does he scheme 
    to betray his King. 
Thou knowest, my Lord, 
that the thought of seeing 
    Thy divine gaze 
turned on me in wrath 
    in that last terrible day of judgment 
has often terrified me 
    far more than all I have heard 
       of the tortures and furies of hell,       [5]
           and 
I besought Thee of Thy mercy 
    to save me from such misery, 
as I beseech Thee now, Lord ! 
What evil could happen to me in this world 
approaching this ? 
Give me all earthly ills, my God, 
    but spare me this misery !                    [6]
Let me 
    not lose my God, 
    nor the peaceful contemplation 
       of Thy beauty: 
Thy Father gave Thee to us, Lord; 
Let me not lose so precious a Jewel ! 


4
I confess, eternal Father, 
    that I have kept it negligently, 
but that may still be remedied
Lord, it may be remedied 
    while I still dwell in this land of exile. 


                     Foot Notes:


[1]
   Milner, etc., Excl. XIV. 
_____________________
[2]
   1 John iii. 6: 
   Omnis qui peccat, 
    non vidit eum, 
      nee cognovit eum. 
_____________________
[3]
   "If a man loves Thee not, 
    O Lord, he loves Thee not 
    because he knows Thee not, 
      and 
    he knows Thee not 
    because he does not understand Thee"
    ( St. Augustine's Soliloquies. 
      Migne, P.L.  t. xl. c. i. col. 865). 
_____________________
[4] 
   Ps. xxxiii. 9: 
   Gustate et videte 
      quoniam suavis est Dominus. 
   . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
         Blog Addition:
   Regarding Footnote reference #4
   O taste, and see 
   that the Lord is sweet: 

    Blessed is the man that hopeth in him. 
        [Psalm 34: 8]
_____________________
[5] 
   Castle, M. vi. ch. ix. 4. 
    
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
         Blog Addition:
   Regarding Footnote reference # 5
  What will that day be 
    in which Thou comest as our Judge, 
  since now, when Thou comest as a Friend 
    to Thy spouse, 
  the sight of Thee strikes us with such awe? 
 O daughters!
 what will it be when He says in wrath: 
   Go, accursed of my Father?'                

 Let this impression 
 be the result of this favour
    granted by God to the soul 
                and 
 we shall reap no little benefit from it, 
    since St. Jerome, saint as he was, 
 ever kept the thought of the last judgment
    before his eyes.                                       
 Thus we shall care nothing 
    what sufferings we endure 
         from the austerities of our Rule, 
  for long as they may last, 
    the time is but a moment 
         compared to this eternity of pain.
 I sincerely assure you that, 
    wicked as I am, 
 I have never feared the torments of  hell 
                                                                   
 for they have seemed to me as nothing 
    when I remembered
 that the lost would see 
     the beautiful, meek and pitiful eyes 
          of our Lord 
     turned on them in wrath.                       
 I have thought all my life 
 that this would be 
     more than my heart could bear.
      [ Interior Castle: Mansion 6:
         Ch. 9: # 4 ]
_____________________
[6]
  "Burn me, wound me, 
    spare me not here, 
    that Thou mayest spare me in eternity" 
     (St. Augustine). 



                              End of  

                      Exclamation 13  



                      Exclamations, 
                                Or 
              Meditations Of The Soul 
                          On Its God


                  S. Teresa of Jesus 
     of the Order of our Lady of Carmel  
           
                     St. Teresa of Avila 
          
     From the Book, 
     "Minor Works Of St. Teresa 
      Conceptions Of The Love Of God 
      Exclamations, Maxims And Poems"   









 Note
 Attempt was made to  display the quotes
     of the other books being cited 
 by the editor's foot notes.
 But, they may not be the actual intended passages 
      that were cited by the editor
 since the editions/translations used by the editor
      may have different paragraph numbering 
 than those available to this blog.







No comments:

Post a Comment