Friday, June 29, 2012

Exclamation 4 - Exclamations, or Meditations of the Soul on Its God - St. Teresa of Avila - Teresa of Jesus


                 Exclamations, 



                           Or 
   Meditations of The Soul on Its God  
  
                 Exclamation 4 
                 S. Teresa of Jesus 
    of the Order of our Lady of Carmel  
           
                     St. Teresa of Avila 

                ░░░░░░░░░░░░
 "Written By 
   The Holy Mother Teresa Of Jesus 
   On Different Occasions, 
   According To The Devotion 
      Imparted To Her By Our Lord 
   After Holy ComMunion. 
   A.D. 1569." 
                   ░░░░░░░░░░░░
    From the Book, 
    "Minor Works Of St. Teresa 
     Conceptions Of The Love Of God 
     Exclamations, Maxims And Poems"  




               Exclamations, 



                         Or 

   Meditations of The Soul on Its God    
               Exclamation IV  
  


                Exclamation IV  
1
My soul, O my Lord, 
finds some repose in thinking 
    of the happiness in store for it 
if, through Thy mercy, 
    it is one day permitted to enjoy Thee ! 
Yet,
I long to labour for Thee first,    [1]
    since Thy labour won this joy for me. 
What shall I do, my Lord, 
    and 
what wilt Thou do, O my God ? 

2
How late has my desire for Thee 
    caught flame, 
but how early didst Thou seek 
    to win me

calling me to give myself 
    wholly to Thee !                                   [2] 
Hast thou ever, O Lord, 
    rejected the wretched, 
        or 
    turned away from the poor mendicant 
       who sought to draw near Thee ? 
Are there limits 
    to Thy power, 
         or 
    to Thy mighty works ? 


3
O my God, 
Source of mercy to me ! 
Now is the time indeed 
    in which to prove so 
        to Thy handmaid, 
for Thou art almighty. 
Now it will be shown 
whether my soul is right in believing, 
    while recalling the wasted years 
        that are past, 
that Thou, Lord, canst 
    in an instant 
turn this loss to gain
I seem to rave, 
for men say that time once spent 
    can never be recovered. 
Blessed be my God ! 


4
Lord, 
I acknowledge Thy sovereign power. 
Almighty as Thou art, 
what is impossible to Thee, 
    Who canst do all things ? 
Do Thou only will it, O my God, 
    do Thou but will it ! 
Miserable as I am, 
yet I believe firmly 
    that Thou canst do all Thou wilt. 
The more I hear Thy wonders spoken of, 
    the better I know 
Thou canst perform still greater things: 
Thus my faith and my confidence
    grow stronger 
that Thou wilt grant my request. 
Why wonder at what is done 
    by the Omnipotent ? 


5
Thou knowest, O my God, 
   that, in spite of all my faults, 
I ever recognised the greatness 
   of Thy power and mercy: 
O Lord, 
May this one thing, 
    in which I have not offended Thee, 
stand in my favour ! 
Restore to me the time lost
    giving me Thy grace, 
         both now and in the future, 
so that I may appear before Thee
   in  "wedding garments",                [3]
as Thou canst do,
   if it be Thy will. 



                Foot Notes:

[1]
  Rel. ix. 19. 
  if, through Thy mercy, 
    it is one day permitted to enjoy Thee ! 
  Yet I long to labour for Thee first,         [1]
    Rel. ix. 19
  ...I was thinking how hard it was 
       to remain alive, 
  seeing that it was living on 
       that robbed us 
          of that marvellous companionship; 
   and so I said to myself: 
     "O Lord, show me some way 
         whereby I may bear this life!" 
     He said unto me: 
     "Think, my child,
       when life is over,
      thou canst not 
          serve Me 
              as thou art serving Me now
                         and
            eat for Me, and 
            sleep for Me. 
      Whatsoever thou doest,
          let it be done for Me
      as if thou wert no longer living, 
          but I
      for that is what St. Paul said." 
            [ Relation 9: #19]
     Galat. ii. 20: 
     "Vivo autem, jam non ego: 
       vivit vero in me Christus."
       And I live, now not I; 
       but Christ liveth in me. 

__________________
[2] 
  Castle, M. iv. ch. iii. 3. 
    How late has my desire for Thee 
         caught flame,  
    but how early didst Thou seek 
        to win me, 
   calling me to give myself 
       wholly to Thee !               [2] 
 To seek God within ourselves 
    avails us far more 
  than to look for Him amongst creatures; 
  Saint Augustine tells us 
  how he found the Almighty 
    within his own soul
  after having long sought for Him 
     elsewhere.
         [ Interior Castle: Mansion 4:
           Ch. 3: # 3 ]
   Some editors 
          of the Interior Castle think
     that St. Teresa refers
          to the following passage 
     taken from the Confessions 
          of St. Augustine:
   'Too late have I loved Thee, 
    O Beauty, 
        ever ancient yet ever new
    too late have I loved Thee
    And behold, Thou wert within me 
          and I abroad, 
     and there I searched for Thee, 
         (St. Augustine's Confessions, 
           bk. x, ch. xxvii.). '
       [ Interior Castle: Mansion 4:
          Ch. 3: # 3 Foot Note ]
__________________
[3]
  St. Matt. xxii. 11, 12:

  Intravit autem rex 
    ut videret discumbentes, 
  et vidit ibi hominem 
    non vestitum veste nuptiali, 
    et ait illi: 
  Amice, quomodo huc intrasti 
     non habens vestem nuptialem ? 
 At ille obmutuit. 
  And the king went in to see the guests: 
  and he saw there a man 
    who had not on a wedding garment. 
   And he saith to him: 
   Friend, how camest thou in hither 
      not having a wedding garment? 
   But he was silent
    [Mt 22: 11-12 ]
   


                            End of  



                     Exclamation 4


                      Exclamations, 
                              Or 
             Meditations Of The Soul 
                        On Its God
   
                  S. Teresa of Jesus 
    of the Order of our Lady of Carmel  
           
                    St. Teresa of Avila 
          
     From the Book, 
     "Minor Works Of St. Teresa 
      Conceptions Of The Love Of God 
      Exclamations, Maxims And Poems"




 Note

 Attempt was made to  display the quotes
     of the other books being cited 
 by the editor's foot notes.
 But, they may not be the actual intended passages 
      that were cited by the editor
 since the editions/translations used by the editor
      may have different paragraph numbering 
 than those available to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment